Steel's role in the renewable energy industry
Like its significance in other industries, steel plays a crucial role in the renewable energy industry. Steel serves as a fundamental element in the infrastructure, manufacturing of equipment and the development of technology that enables the viability and efficiency of renewable energy sources.
Steel’s durability, strength and versatility make it, without a doubt, the optimal material for diverse aspects of renewable energy production and distribution.
In this blog post, we will explore the integral role of steel in supporting the renewable energy industry.
Steel qualities that help make renewable energy technologies a success
We dare say that steel is a fundamental partner when it comes to renewable energy technologies – it is the ideal choice in the construction and operation of sustainable energy systems.
Steel contributes to a cleaner and more sustainable future by being:
- Temperature resilient: steel quality ensures structures such as solar panels don’t deform, melt, warp or fracture under intense sunlight or freezing temperatures
- Corrosion resistant: steel exhibits remarkable corrosion resistance, remaining impervious to rust and degradation
- Hygienic durability: steel is naturally resistant to abrasion and cracking, meaning steel beams or bars aren’t breeding grounds for bacteria
- Longevity: steel will endure for generations, making it an ideal choice for the construction of power plants
How steel supports the renewable energy industry
With energy demands perpetually increasing, modern renewable energy sources such as solar, wind or geothermal power depend even more on steel’s ability to withstand extremely harsh environments.
Here are some key areas where using steel in renewable energy technologies is crucial:
- Wind turbines: various steel components are needed in their construction, including the towers, nacelles and the rotor blades
- Solar power infrastructure: solar panels rely on steel structures to support them, such as mounting frames and tracking systems
- Hydropower: from the construction of dams to turbines and pipes, steel plays a crucial role in the hydropower industry
- Energy storage: steel is used in the construction of energy storage systems such as batteries or compressed air energy storage facilities
- Transmission and distribution of renewable energy: steel is used extensively in high-voltage transmission lines, grid infrastructure components and substations
- Recycling: with steel being one of the most recyclable materials, recycling plays a significant role in the sustainability of renewable energy technologies
Hibernia Steel is here to help with your steel needs
Are you looking for steel beams or bars for your renewable energy project? Hibernia Steel offers a wide range of steel products and services for commercial and residential energy projects.
Our expert structural steel fabricators can answer any questions you may have – just get in touch today to learn more about our efficient steel solutions and our commitment to sustainability.